From the onset of Covid-19 and the resulting lockdown, it has been a time of anxiety for many of us, irrespective of having a neuro degenerative disorder like Parkinson’s. For some of our members with PD, yoga, meditation and online sessions of support group meetings have been helpful during these challenging times
To maintain mental and physical health during these uncertain times, a few tips –
· Exercise regularly – either indoors / backyard or on terrace
· Cut down physical contact, but for the absolute essentials
· Maintain contact through phone / apps
· Contact with your physician about best times to visit and ways to minimize risk
· Continue taking medication as before and stock them up
· Always have medicine delivered by local pharmacy
· Participate in some web-based or virtual classes
· Play indoor / board games with family members
· Maintain hygiene at home – wash your hands if you went out, sanitise doorknob, ensure caregivers wash their hands, wear a mask if someone comes home to deliver / while interacting with domestic help.
· If you do not have any Covid-19 symptoms, you can move outside and maintain social distancing. This situation may change over time, so ensure to check with your local governing agencies.